I hope my dear readers have learned a lot this first annual Sogtoberfest. I know I have! And I know I have enjoyed relaying so many interesting and unique stories and facts about Sogdian history to you! I did not complete everything I set out to do, but I managed to cover some things I thought were very important. This post will index all of my Sogtoberfest posts into one, easy to browse list, so that you can go back and read your favorite entries, find a particular piece of information, or catch an update you may have missed.
First Annual Sogtoberfest Articles Index
Introductory Post
Welcome to Sogtoberfest!
Introduction to terms, geography, and maps
Transoxiana and Sogdiana: A Discussion of Interchangeable Terms pt. 1
Transoxiana and Sogdiana: The Thrilling Conclusion, Pt. 2
A handy timeline of Sogdian trade from its early days to its eventual decline
Sogdian Trade: The Nitty-Gritty
A brief discussion of the life of An Lushan and his rebellion against the Tang Dynasty
Sogtoberfest Spotlight: An Lushan
A discussion of the tomb of An Jia and the artwork contained therein
Sogtoberfest Spotlight: An Jia
I'm also including in this post a Bibliography of all the works I cited during Sogtoberfest. I encourage everyone to check out these sources and do a little Sogdian research of your own! Maybe there is some aspect of Sogdian history you wish to delve into further? Maybe you want to explore more about Sogdian arts, including silk brocades and silversmithing, that I wasn't able to cover this Sogtoberfest? The sources below are all lovely tools for digging deeper into the rich history of the Sogdians!
Sogtoberfest Bibliography
Beckwith, Christopher I. Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009. Available for preview here. Available for purchase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Bosworth, C. Edmund. "Ma Wara al-Nahr", Encyclopedia Iranica online edition, 2011. available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/mawara-al-nahr
de la Vassiere, Etienne. "Sogdiana iii. History and Archaeology," Encyclopedia Iranica, online edition 2011. http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/sogdiana-iii-history-and-archeology
de la Vaissiere, Etienne, “Sogdian Trade,” Encyclopædia Iranica, online edition, 2004, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/sogdian-trade
de la Vaissiere, Etienne. Sogdian Traders: A History. Leiden: Brill, 2005. Available in PDF format here. Available for purchase from Amazon.
Dien, Albert E. "The Glories of Sogdiana", The Silk Road Foundation.
http://www.silk-road.com/artl/sogdian.shtml
Guity, Azarpay, "The Development of Arts in Transoxiana," Cambridge History of Iran: Seleucid, Parthian, and Sassanian Periods. ed. Ehsan Yarshater. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1983. Available for preview here. Available for purchase new and used from Amazon.
Hansen, Valerie. The Open Empire: A History of China to 1600. New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 2000. Available new and used from Amazon.
Hansen, Valerie. The Silk Road: A New History. New York: Oxford, 2012. Available for preview here. Available for purhcase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Hudud al-Alam 'The Regions of the World': A Persian Geography 372 A.H - 982 A.D. trans.Vladimir Minorsky. ed. C. E. Bosworth. London: Gibb Memorial Trust, 2015. Available in preview form here. Available for purchase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Pulleyblank, E.G. "An Lu-shan", Encyclopedia Iranica, I/9, pp. 1000; available online at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/an-lu-shan-frontier-general
First Annual Sogtoberfest Articles Index
Introductory Post
Welcome to Sogtoberfest!
Introduction to terms, geography, and maps
Transoxiana and Sogdiana: A Discussion of Interchangeable Terms pt. 1
Transoxiana and Sogdiana: The Thrilling Conclusion, Pt. 2
A handy timeline of Sogdian trade from its early days to its eventual decline
Sogdian Trade: The Nitty-Gritty
A brief discussion of the life of An Lushan and his rebellion against the Tang Dynasty
Sogtoberfest Spotlight: An Lushan
A discussion of the tomb of An Jia and the artwork contained therein
Sogtoberfest Spotlight: An Jia
I'm also including in this post a Bibliography of all the works I cited during Sogtoberfest. I encourage everyone to check out these sources and do a little Sogdian research of your own! Maybe there is some aspect of Sogdian history you wish to delve into further? Maybe you want to explore more about Sogdian arts, including silk brocades and silversmithing, that I wasn't able to cover this Sogtoberfest? The sources below are all lovely tools for digging deeper into the rich history of the Sogdians!
Sogtoberfest Bibliography
Beckwith, Christopher I. Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009. Available for preview here. Available for purchase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Bosworth, C. Edmund. "Ma Wara al-Nahr", Encyclopedia Iranica online edition, 2011. available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/mawara-al-nahr
de la Vassiere, Etienne. "Sogdiana iii. History and Archaeology," Encyclopedia Iranica, online edition 2011. http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/sogdiana-iii-history-and-archeology
de la Vaissiere, Etienne, “Sogdian Trade,” Encyclopædia Iranica, online edition, 2004, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/sogdian-trade
de la Vaissiere, Etienne. Sogdian Traders: A History. Leiden: Brill, 2005. Available in PDF format here. Available for purchase from Amazon.
Dien, Albert E. "The Glories of Sogdiana", The Silk Road Foundation.
http://www.silk-road.com/artl/sogdian.shtml
Guity, Azarpay, "The Development of Arts in Transoxiana," Cambridge History of Iran: Seleucid, Parthian, and Sassanian Periods. ed. Ehsan Yarshater. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1983. Available for preview here. Available for purchase new and used from Amazon.
Hansen, Valerie. The Open Empire: A History of China to 1600. New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 2000. Available new and used from Amazon.
Hansen, Valerie. The Silk Road: A New History. New York: Oxford, 2012. Available for preview here. Available for purhcase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Hudud al-Alam 'The Regions of the World': A Persian Geography 372 A.H - 982 A.D. trans.Vladimir Minorsky. ed. C. E. Bosworth. London: Gibb Memorial Trust, 2015. Available in preview form here. Available for purchase new, used, and in Kindle format from Amazon.
Pulleyblank, E.G. "An Lu-shan", Encyclopedia Iranica, I/9, pp. 1000; available online at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/an-lu-shan-frontier-general
No comments:
Post a Comment